Sunday, February 8, 2009

Deaf

For the senseless assignment, I decided to be deaf. I attempted this by using earplugs and earphones that covered the ear. The reason I went with the earphones, in addition, was because I could still hear with the plugs. I found myself tuning in to the most minute sounds that you wouldn't normally notice. That's when the headphones were added. I have to say, I could still hear some louder sounds even with both plugs and phones. I became aware of my breathing, since this took over my field of noise. Next came my carotid pulse which I tuned into. After that, I heard a baseline ringing in my ears and my stomach growling. After my ears began to hurt from the plugs, I exited the experiment. I tried to get computer work done since that didn't require hearing. I didn't leave the house and I lasted no way near 3 hours.
Doppler would make a great new sense. It's the measure of the change in frequencies based on the distance an object is to you. It could aid you both in hearing and seeing. Bats use a type of doppler to find food and it sometimes substitutes for sight. You can also notice doppler by a passing siren on an ambulance. The ambulance sound is more high pitched as it passes you and has a lower pitch with distance. It could also help you underwater. So when you grow those gills you'll be all set.

No comments:

Post a Comment